Nee, nie uit die yskas GEHAAL nie..
The word HALAAL is often misinterpreted by the misinformed or should I say ill informed.
Amongst a hundred other things Muslims are branded for, “Halaal” is one of the most commonly misunderstood practices. It is usually joked about, laughed at, and at times, even feared. This would really be funny if it was not so serious.
“Halaal” is the Arabic term for “lawful or permissible” And “Haraam” is simply the opposite (that which is not permissible or lawful, e.g: pork).
Any animal, except a pig, is only acceptable to consume if it is slaughtered according to Islamic law.
“These prohibited foods and ingredients are called haram, meaning forbidden in Arabic. Foods that are not halal for Muslims to consume as per various Qurʼanic verses are:
- Intoxicants and alcoholic beverages
- Animals killed incorrectly and/or without Allah’s name being pronounced before slaughter
- Animals slaughtered in the name of anyone but “Allah”. All that has been dedicated or offered in sacrifice to an idolatrous altar or saint or a person considered to be “divine”
- Carrion (carcasses of dead animals, i.e. animals who died in the wild)
- An animal that has been strangled, beaten (to death), killed by a fall, gored (to death), savaged by a beast of prey (unless finished off by a human) or sacrificed on a stone altar.”
Halal is One of the Most Humane Methods of Animal Slaughter
Muslims are taught through the Qu’ran that all animals should be treated with respect and well cared for.
The goal is to slaughter the animal, limiting the amount of pain the animal will endure. When an animal is slaughtered, the jugular vein is cut and the blood is allowed to drain from the animal. Remember, Muslims are prohibited from consuming animal blood.
Sweets and chocolates which may have gelatine are also prohibited in Islam. Jackets and other items of clothing made from pig leather are also haraam.
That’s all there is to it. No big deal. And it does not exclude us or deprive us from anything. We eat the same thing as you, except the pork, obviously. Living islamically is not oppressive or boring, it’s the bomb…….NOOOOO WAIT…DON’T RUN……IT’S NOT THAT KINDA BOMB…..I mean, it’s really a good, healthy and uncomplicated lifestyle.
So the next time someone mentions the word HALAAL, U don’t have to run for the hills and take cover and hide, and you don’t have to picture us with hooded cloaks dancing around a fire while we slaughter a cow and chant weird incantations.
For more info on this issue, please just ask my best friend, Google.