Bad food is like that one crazy friend we all have, we know it’s bad for us, but we keep allowing it into our lives
We know we’ll quit one day, but it’s just too much fun for now. It’s funny how all the stuff in life that is bad for you, is so easily available.
I didn’t think about the importance of certain foods in our diets (I know it’s important, but didn’t spend much time thinking about it), until I realised my daughter had no idea what a brinjal (egg plant) was. She came across a picture in her life science book and wanted to know what fruit is this.
The convenience of easy, fast meal preparations, have made most of us lazy. It’s easier to throw some oven chips onto a tray and into the oven, rather than chop up veggies or slice brinjal, well at least, that’s what I thought, until recently.
Realisation hit me hard, right in the middle of my burger and fries, when I came across a post on Facebook . It was a recipe shared by a very dynamic and amazing friend, who just happens to be a super-talented vegetarian chef, Videhi Sivurusan. She recently won first prize in the national Expresso SABC 3/PnP Curry cook-off held at the Pick n Pay Good Food Studios in Sandton and also took first prize in the The Post Real Curry competition in 2009, among other awards.
Her amazing recipes have inspired me to incorporate more veggies in my menu plan, something that I would never have done before, because I thought it was a lot of hard work. Check out the following recipe, easy peasy…
MEAT FREE MOUSAKA
Preparation time: 15 Minutes
Cooking time: 45 Minutes
Serves: 4 – 6
- 1 large brinjal sliced
- 2 potatoes, boiled and sliced into round pieces
- 30 ml olive oil
- 2 cups soya mince soaked in boiling water
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 green chillies
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tbsp. cumin powder
- 1 – 2 tsps mixed masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tin tomatoes
- Handful chopped fresh flat leaved parsley
- Handful chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 80g flour
- 80g butter
- 600ml fresh full cream milk
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Wash and slice brinjal into round pieces. Fry both sides in shallow oil, keep aside
- Boil potatoes until slightly tender, slice and keep aside
- In a pot, heat oil, add onions, curry leaves, chillies, cinnamon and bay leaves – fry until onions are translucent.
- Drain soya mince, toss in along with coriander powder, cumin powder, mix masala and salt.
- Cook for 5 – 6 minutes
- Add tomatoes and cook through for 10 – 15 minutes. Toss in parsley and coriander leaves. Turn heat off and leave aside.
- Pre heat oven at 180 oC
- In a saucepan melt butter, stir in flour. Cook for a few seconds. Add milk stirring constantly until thickened. Add cheese, nutmeg and salt.
- In an oven proof dish layer potatoes followed by soya mince then brinjal
- Pour over white sauce and top with cheese. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until cheese is golden brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
I just had to share this, because I don’t think it’s fair to keep it all to myself.
You can also catch Videhi on youtube:
Pick n Pay: Curry Competition Finalists http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gNiquTTpsFg&gl=US&client=mv-rim&hl=en&guid=
Brought to you by SABC 3 Expresso & Pick n Pay: Small Brinjal Curry (9.8.2013) by: Videhi Sivurusan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzgIH6hXs-k&feature=share&list=UU_mTg0Mh7M- zAaiT3Z2i69w
Pick n Pay : Spicy curried pasta (16.8.2013) by Videhi Sivurusan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOR3vRu8cvs&feature=share&list=UU_mTg0Mh7M- zAaiT3Z2i69w
Pick n Pay: Mixed vegetable medley (23.8.2013) by Videhi Sivurusan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_CNV85B97k&feature=share&list=UU_mTg0Mh7M- zAaiT3Z2i69w
Pick n Pay: Madumbi Fry (30.8.2013) by Videhi Sivurusan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3MWGFft3Rg&sns=tw
Thank you Videhi for the inspiration.